Fatigue is a means of describing a severe lack of energy and motivation that can be physical, mental, or both. This exhaustion can be a normal response to intense physical and mental activity, but if reducing activity doesn’t relieve the symptoms, there may be another cause of an underlying illness or even psychological strain at work.
Depression is one of the most common causes of fatigue. Individuals dealing with this exhaustion often suffer from one or more of the following symptoms:
- They may lack the motivation or ability to begin an activity.
- They may tire quickly once they start the activity.
- They may have trouble focusing or keeping their energy up while trying to complete the activity.
Types Of Fatigue
Besides the common, often passing exhaustion caused by physical or mental exertion, illness, or lack of sleep–there are two other, more serious types of fatigue that may require wellness attention. Chronic Fatigue is exhaustion that lasts for a prolonged period with no obvious reason. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is when Chronic Fatigue lasts for six months or longer with no attached medical condition and involves at least four of the following symptoms:
- Increased exhaustion after exertion
- Impaired memory
- Lack of refreshing sleep
- Muscle and joint pain
- Tender lymph nodes
- A sore throat
- A headache
What Are the Causes?
Fatigue can be caused by many factors:
- Heart and lung conditions
- Side effects of medications including antidepressants and steroids
- Psychiatric conditions including depression, anxiety, and substance abuse
- External factors such as grief or major life changes;
- Lack of sufficient sleep
- Vitamin deficiencies
Our wellness professionals at Enhanced Wellness in Ridgeland can run tests and look over your medical history to better determine what may be causing this drop in energy levels. Many factors such as breathing quality, diet, and sleeping will be discussed.
Treatments and Prevention
Fatigue is most often a symptom of an underlying condition, so treatment will vary based upon your specific case.
If you have been experiencing fatigue, contact our experts at Enhanced Wellness in Ridgeland, Mississippi to schedule an initial consultation today!